NGO founded: January 2013
Partnership formed: October 2013
Organisation aim: The mission of Viet Nature Conservation Centre (Viet Nature) is to research and apply sustainable solutions to nature and biodiversity conservation; to maintain and restore ecosystems; to manage natural resources sustainably; and to make appropriate responses to climate change.
Viet Nature is a newly established Vietnamese NGO, which has evolved from the BirdLife Vietnam Programme. As a consequence Viet Nature has inherited a prestigious portfolio and conservation track record stretching back 20 years.
Based on BirdLife Vietnam Programme’s extensive knowledge of biodiversity inventory, monitoring and conservation planning, Viet Nature has prioritised the following project areas: the Annamese Lowlands Endemic Bird Area (in Central Vietnam), the Central Highlands, the coastal wetland sites in Red River Delta and the Mekong River Delta.
Key project activities include:
- Species and habitats conservation and ecosystem restoration
- Community-based conservation and sustainable natural resource management
- Climate change mitigation and adaptation for biodiversity and human well being;
- Biodiversity monitoring and scientific research;
- Environmental awareness raising and education;
- Policy and advocacy for biodiversity conservation and sustainable natural resource management.
Partnership with WLT
Initial introductions were made possible by mutual contacts at BirdLife International. The relationship with World Land Trust (WLT) was reinforced by Viet Nature's participation at the WLT/IUCN NL partners symposium (Singapore, September 2012) and IUCN NL’s REDD+ learning programme (Philippines, November 2012).
Director: Le Trong Trai
Address: Apt 202, Building 18T2, Le Van Luong Str, Hanoi, Vietnam