WLT Environmental Policy
The World Land Trust’s mission is to protect and sustainably manage natural ecosystems of the world, and to conserve their biodiversity, with a particular focus on Central and South America, Africa and Asia. We work by developing partnerships with local individuals, communities and organisations to engage support and commitment among the people who live in project areas. The World Land Trust also works to meet the challenge of climate change through projects that both offset carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions and conserve biodiversity through its Carbon Balanced programme.
The World Land Trust recognises that fulfilling our mission inevitably has adverse effects on the environment, but we are committed to mitigating this effect as far as possible while continuing our work of preserving threatened habitats.
- Identify the impacts of our operations on the environment and take all practical steps to reduce them.
- Make all staff aware of the environmental policy and engage the commitment of the staff in developing and implementing the policy.
- Manage our activities to comply with relevant environmental legislation and regulations, and undertake regular reviews of the policy to assess and enhance its effectiveness.
- Where possible and relevant we will seek to support local suppliers and businesses. We will consider suppliers’ ethical and environmental policy in making purchasing decisions, and challenge practices which we consider to be unsustainable or unethical.
- We will work to raise awareness, in the UK and elsewhere, of the need for conservation, to improve understanding and generate support through education, information and fundraising. In particular, we will support and encourage our corporate supporters in developing and implementing their corporate social responsibility and environmental policies.