84th World Land Trust Council Meeting
Thursday 8th December 2011
Election of Council Members
- New Council Members Robert Giles and Bill Oddie had both accepted invitations to become Council Members.
Admin & Finance
- The Board reviewed the Management Accounts for November 2011. It was announced that since the Management Accounts for November had been finalised, revenue expected in the current year in respect of the Paraguay Forest Conservation Project was now expected in early 2012: the implications on the current year's results were discussed. Trustees approved the November accounts.
- The draft budget for 2012 was reviewed and approved: in view of the continuing economic uncertainties, a cautious projection for 2012 income had been budgeted. It was agreed that a revised budget would be presented at the next Council Meeting taking into account the current situation with the Paraguay Forest Conservation Project. On this basis the budget was approved.
- The Board approved the budget for upgrades to WLT's accounting and donations system software.
- It was announced that World Land Trust Gallery was due to open the following day with a private view of the inaugural exhibition on Friday evening, featuring works by Jason Gathorne-Hardy. The Gallery is featured on the WLT website, and it is hoped that significant business could be generated through online sales.
- A report was given on a meeting of Council Members, the Trust's PR agency and members of WLT staff in Halesworth in November to explore fundraising issues. As a result of the meeting a number of papers for the Board outlining the Trust's fundraising strategy and detailing the range of fundraising activities currently being undertaken.
- The Board welcomed the Fundraising Strategy paper, which sought to outline what differentiated the approach to fundraising of the Trust from other charities, and to stress the importance of developing the WLT website and other online activities in engaging supporters and raising funds.
- A presentation was shown outlining main PR activities since the last Board Meeting:
- Emeralds for Elephants, Mumbai, October 2011: The Emeralds for Elephants auction in Mumbai in October 2011 had raised to date £60,500 for WTI. It was anticipated that further pieces which were not sold at the auction would still find purchasers, and that the total would rise.
- The Big Give Christmas Challenge 2011: WLT was currently taking part in the online fundraising campaign running during the week of 5-9 December. Problems with the Big Give website had proved frustrating for WLT supporters throughout the week, and the amount raised seemed likely to fall short of ambitious target.
- The Board reviewed the Conservation Programme annual reviews, outlining the activities and achievements of 2011, and the planed programme activities for 2012. The programme plans for the coming year were based on priorities identified by programme partners for which funding was available.
- Trustees approved two new partners:
- Associación Ecológica de San Marcos de Ocotepeque (AESMO), Honduras
- Fundación Melimoyu, Chile